The first document to prove the existence of glass furnaces in Venice, Italy dates back to 982, more than a thousand years ago. Subsequently every Venetian furnace was moved to the Island of Murano due to the high risk of fires that could have spread during the processing of glass. In 1291 in fact, Murano became the center for glassmaking when the Venetian Republic, fearing that fire could eventually destruct the wooden building of the city decided to move glassmakers foundries to the nearby island. The glassmakers became soon prominent citizens of Murano and by the 14th Century they were allowed to wear swords and enjoyed immunity from prosecution by the Venetian government. However, they were not allowed to leave the Venetian Republic, so as not to spread their art in other places. They successfully managed to hold a monopoly on quality glassmaking for centuries, innovating constantly through development and refinement of technologies and inventions such as crystalline glass, enameled glass (smalto), glass with threads of gold (aventurine), multicolored glass (millefiori) and milk glass (lattimo).
Two of the most collectable of Murano are Glasses and Chandeliers starting around the 17th Century. The Chandelier became a symbol of luxury and status.